Freitag, 23. November 2012

IV. Zurich Typehunt

Zürich, 16. November 2012 - IV. Zurich Typehunt.

Bertastrasse

The normal typewriter space is empty - there isn't a single typewriter left in this shop.

Disturbing sight at Citroën-Garage: Batter boards, announcing the construction of a  "skyscraper" (keep in mind, the highest building in Switzerland is Zurich's Prime Tower, 126 m, just a few steps away from Salvation Army), 40 meters high. I knew that the thrift stores were just a temporary use of the building, but I didn't expect that to happen that fast...

There are still typewriters - at least for now: The Olympia sits still there, next to its old companion, the Hermes Standard. In the background, however, a new Royal Standard with round glass keys appeared - asking price Fr. 45, 5 Fr. less than the Hermes Standard. The Royal works, but I have to say that I didn't like its touch; too short and heavy.

The Underwood Finger-Flite, however, is gone.

The Horde saw another re-arrangement and...

They got new price tags! The Lettera, one of the more expensive ones in the old pricing, is now the cheapest - the Hermes 3000.2 is now "Vintage 60's" (I hate that apostrophe!) and costs a whopping Fr. 125.

In the small store with the bacon-smell, the scanner-Olympia and the yellow Brother were gone as well.

In another store, however, I found this magnificient Olivetti M44. Its serial number seems to be 978, very low - and it is stamped in a place where there's nothing on Peter's M44.

M44 Details.

Salvation Army - the Prime Tower would be 90° to the right.

At Salvation Army - the Lettera 38C is still there, but there's something lurking in the background...

A Brother AX-45, a lot like my first own typewriter, only with the addition of a screen.

This awesome post was brought to you by the mighty Typosphere

4 Kommentare:

Ton S. hat gesagt…

Nice Olivetti M44. Did you get it?

Bill M hat gesagt…

Nice typewriters. Those prices look a bit expensive. I like the M44, but the price!

Then I am not in Zurich. In my travels over the past week I finally found a second typewriter in a thrift shop here. It was a rebranded Brother (Royal) electric.

maschinengeschrieben hat gesagt…

Thanks for your comments!
Ton, I liked the M44 very much, but I still have my collecting rules - they must have a case. Thanks to that, I didn't really have to consider the M44, but as Bill pointed out, Fr. 85 is a pretty steep price - on the swiss auction site, I usually pay Fr. 10 for a machine.
Congratulations on your second thrift store spotting, Bill!

Ton S. hat gesagt…

Florian, I agree, Fr. 85 is too steep, even for an M44.

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Danke für Ihren Kommentar! Haben Sie Lust, mehr zu schreiben als einen Kommentar? Share fascination.
Thanks for your comment! Would you like to write more than a comment? Share fascination.
Es kann bis zu 24 Stunden dauern, bis ein Kommentar moderiert ist und erscheint.
It may take up to 24 hours until a comment is moderated and published.